Nathan Gold founded The Demo Coach in 2000. He has personally given over 15,000 presentations and product demos during his career. He has worked in and with small and large companies—such as Glue Networks, Bill.com, Education.com, U3, SanDisk, Symbol Technologies, Nokia, and IBM—on how to design, script and deliver more compelling and memorable presentations and demos especially for high stakes situations.
Nathan was born in the late 1950s. Growing up, his favorite show was Star Trek and was mesmerized by the space ships, phasers, tricorders, universal translators, and especially, the communicators. That program started his love for technology.
In high school, Nathan excelled at computers. He finished a 14-week programming course in the first three weeks of class. The teachers were impressed and sent him upstairs to work with the school’s IBM mainframes. Nathan began teaching computer programming in the high school adult education program. He worked with students three times his age, but he loved the interaction with adults and holding the chalk.
He went on to SUNY Stony Brook, where he majored in Computer Science. There, the Computer Science Department made him a teaching assistant, and he helped students with all sorts of computer issues.
Right out of college, Nathan designed and delivered mainframe computer programming classes at National Westminster Bank. However, he had a dream to live by the beach in California and travel the world while working for a high tech company. That dream was not coming true on Long Island.
On Labor Day 1980, he packed everything he owned into his beat up Oldsmobile and left for California. Five days later, he had four job interviews in Los Angeles and three in San Diego. Nathan chose a small software company in San Diego named ISSCO Graphics, where he spent seven years traveling around the world training their customers. Nathan was always the go-to-guy for all high-level executive sales briefings, trade shows, press issues, and analysts’ product demo needs.
In early 1990, Nathan fell in love with pen computers and mobile computing. He spent over 10 years working with people all over the world, evangelizing technology such as the Palm Pilot. During this time, he started helping other people with their product demos. And he did it as a favor.
In September 2000, Nathan started The Demo Coach business because he believed he could help other people learn to give more compelling and memorable presentations and demos. Since then, he has coached hundreds of people all around the world for high stakes opportunities in sales meetings, trade shows, key notes and, especially angel and venture funding.
Nathan is a two-time winner of the distinguished DEMOgod Award, given to him at DEMOmobile 2000 for being “A one man walking communications store with the ability to deliver an incredibly well-timed demonstration.” And again, at DEMOfall 2005, for his demo of U3. Also, Nathan has a success rate of 56% of the people he coaches for their on stage performance at DEMO win DEMOgod Awards. He is also the co-author of Giving Memorable Product Demos, which is available on Amazon.com.
In addition, Nathan has helped:
- Your Mechanic win 1st place at TechCrunch Disrupt 2012 and a $50,000 cash prize
- Getaround win 1st place at TechCrunch Disrupt 2011 and a $50,000 cash prize
- WeVideo raise $19.2 million
- Glue Networks raise $4.5 million Series A
- Education.com raise $9.2 million Series B
- Sim Ops Studios raise $3 million Series A
- BarracudaFX win 1st place at InterTradeIreland’s 8th annual All-island Seedcorn Business Competition and a €100,000 cash prize
- Epona Biotech win 2nd place at InterTradeIreland’s 8th annual All-island Seedcorn Business Competition and a €50,000 cash prize
- Abulla receive 6 calls from VC’s after a 7 minute presentation at the SDForum
- Zazingo go into due diligence after their first meeting with a venture capitalist
- 4 out of 5 on stage DEMOgod Award winners at DEMOfall 09
- Liaise and Emo Labs $1M Media Prize People’s Choice Award winners at DEMOfall 09
- eXaudios $1M Media Prize People’s Choice Award winner at DEMOspring 2010
And, Nathan also coaches for the following organizations:
- Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation Presentation Coach to the Global Scholars Program
- Startup America Partnership Pitch Coach
- IDG/DEMO Conferences Official DEMO Coach
- IBM SmartCamp Pitch Coach
- Innovation Norway Pitch Coach
- Innovation Centre Denmark Pitch Coach
- swissnex San Francisco Pitch Coach
- USMAC Pitch Coach
- StartupYard, Czech Republic Pitch Coach
- Gray Plant Mooty Pitch Coach
- Irish Technology Leadership Group Pitch Coach
- DLA Piper Venture Pipeline Group Pitch and Demo Coach
- SVForum Investor Forum Pitch Coach
- Citrix Startup Accelerator Pitch Coach and Mentor
- JumpStart Days Pitch Coach
- Pitch-Force Pitch Coach
- Keiretsu Forum Entrepreneur Academy Instructor and Pitch Coach
- PlugandPlayTechCenter Pitch Coach